This place is slowly starting to feel like home. I really enjoy where we are right now. It feels good. I have been going for walks around our neighborhood lately, although it's been freezing! I feel so blessed because even though we're in an apartment, we are about one block down from a church that has a bit of property around it and it's all grass. It's been wonderful for me as I've been taking the boys there to run! We only have one car and Ryan takes it to work, so it's great to have a place to take the boys that is in walking distance. Yes, Ryan got a job. It is just temporary but he is doing more construction work, remodeling a house.
My son is embarking on a new path in life as he just started wearing big boy underwear! As of Monday I finally started potty-training Moses (he will be 3 at the end of Sept.). It felt like such a daunting tunnel that I did not want to go through, but he seemed so ready that I knew we needed to just do it. And it's been surprisingly really great. It's been awesome to only be using like 2 diapers a day. One for nap and the other for bedtime. Well, I could tell he was ready because he would often tell us when he was going in his diaper, pee and poop. He also was very interested in mom and dad going potty, and we've been talking about it a lot. I started talking about it 2 months ago before we moved. I told him that when we got to our new home we would start potty-training and he would get stickers! Oh boy was he excited about stickers. However, the greater motivation was the yogurt covered pretzels that I also gave him. I am so encouraged that it is going well. The only thing I wasn't prepared for was constipation. Yep, with all the excitement he did not poop for 2 days. So yesterday I went out to get prune juice, however it was like 3.70 for 64 oz. of the stuff! Well, I didn't need that much, so I checked the bulk section and bought some dried prunes instead. It did the trick. He ended up pooping at 2am this morning, but he didn't wake up. He just went right in his sleep. Maybe it woke Elijah up, I don't know. I just went into the room because Elijah had been crying and helped him go back to sleep, and then realized that my other sleeping son had a poopy diaper. I was just thankful that he was not longer plugged up! Funny funny, the things we moms go through!
So here are a few potty training tips for anyone who needs them:
1. Wait until your child is ready. As for my experience, it's much less work waiting for them to be ready because it will go much quicker and smoother (my first attempt was like back in February and he just didn't care it wasn't worth the work).
2. Plan on being home and not going anywhere for 2-3 days. For Moses he caught on really quick and yesterday, the 2nd day we went out for 2 hours (i put him in a diaper just in case) and he stayed dry the whole time. When we got home he wanted to go potty.
3. We started in the morning, and you really have to take them every 30 to 40 minutes until they start getting it. I tried stretching it out to 45 min once and he had an accident. So, even if they only pee a little, i found 30-40min worked really well.
4. It also helps to keep them well hydrated (good idea anyway for everyday life) but it helps with the whole process.
Wednesday, June 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Fun stuff! I'm hoping to start Maddox before he's 2. But, who knows. Like you said, it's easier when they're ready. But, I'd love to get him out of diapers the sooner the better. One of my friends has her 20 month old potty trained and another almost has her almost 2 year old trained. Lots of work, but like you said, it helps to be home and we're home most days, so no big deal.
Oh, and glad to hear that Ryan got a job!
Post a Comment