Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Include Your Children in Your Work

"Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ."
~ Colossians 3:23-24

It is good that our children see us working in our homes with a glad heart. It is good for them to learn at a young age that work is not a negative thing. In addition to that I am learning what a blessing it is for them to join me in my work. Though they are boys, they will learn much by helping mama in what I do. They also help Papa when he is home, but since they spend a good amount of time with me during the day, I am slowly learning the benefits to having them help me with my chores.

Elijah is almost 2 and Moses is almost 3 and today they both helped me vacuum and empty the dishwasher. Sometimes they also help me "wash" dishes (aka: play in the bubbles!). But I've been impressed with how they learn, I should not be surprised, but I am still, they are so smart. Kids are capable of far more than what is often expected of them, which is usually very little. So I'm trying to teach and train more...I feel that I lack so much, but that is good because it makes me far more dependent on the Lord. Better to feel needy for HIM rather than feel like I can do it all so well on my own. Anyways, Moses has been trained to put the utensils away (ahem, it's like a matching game!) and he and Elijah can hand me items from the dishwasher that go in high cupboards. Usually, I think that I need to occupy them with an activity or wait until naps for me to do chores, but it's been wonderful incorporating them to help me with the chores. Granted, what would take me 5 minutes might turn into 10 minutes with a little one helping. But the extra time is worth it as they learn that work is what we're made to do and that we should do it with a glad heart.

3 comments:

Emily said...

You're so right. Maddox is only 17 months old and loves helping out around the house. He, too, hands me dishes from the dishwasher to put away and even helps me load it up again. He also helps me load up the washer and dryer!

Sunny said...

I love that new pic of you and the boys!Congratulations! You guys are blessed!

Jill Pullen said...

That's what my mom did with me when I was little, and I plan to do it with my kids when I have them. You're such a good little mommy.