Thursday, February 5, 2009

High Fructose Corn Syrup

So I am always interested in learning new things about food and nutrition and I have heard and read a little about high fructose corn syrup but not enough where I could explain it to someone else why they shouldn't eat it. Over the past 2 years I have been preferring more and more things pure and natural and the closer to natural the better, thus avoiding high fructose corn syrup. However, I was checking some blogs tonight and found some info at http://happyfoody.com/ on the subject that I though I'd direct your attention to if you're interested.

2 comments:

Jill Pullen said...

I just watched a documentary called "King Corn" last week which is an extremely well done film. In it is the huge risks and dangers of high fructose corn syrup. The corn grown by the Iowa and other midwestern growers is not actually edible in its natural state. It's so far from the corn that migrated north from Mexico. It has very little nutrients and mainly is made of starch and sugar. To make HFCS they soak the kernels in battery acid (I kid you not) to break it down, then boil it for a long time, grind it up, and finally soak it in a toxic enzyme. So it's basically nutritionless sugar/battery acid/toxic enzyme. Freaky stuff.

Candice said...

Thanks for sharing that info Jill--crazy stuff.